On hiatus:

///Be Back Soon///

///In the meantime, read my posts, comment, contact me///

Saturday 19 April 2008

REVIEW: Breakin' the Ice


EVENT: Breaking The Ice Karaoke – Valentine’s Special
VENUE: Favela Chic
TIME: 6pm till late



February 2008:

Much noise had been made about this event. The Voice Newspaper demanded it was “definitely a date for your diary’’ so my girls and I decided to check it out.

The venue was a cauldron of South American tapas bar and French fairytale; with hula hoops and umbrellas dangling from the high ceilings. Although the seating arrangement was sparse, the bric a brac décor worked well, lending Favela Chic a certain charm.

Plied with glasses of red wine, my girls and I were feeling ultra confident, and so we trawled through the book of songs, whilst thinking of a catchy group name. Eventually deciding on Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody”, we dubbed ourselves “Don’t Get Out Much” and waited for our five minutes of in-house fame.

Our hosts Annika and Natalie kick started the karaoke; the ladies were a great sport as they gave those of us with cat screams for voices a sense of hope. The concept of the event is not to see who has the best voice, but who provides a more entertaining performance. So it was great to see the novice and the intermediate battle it out to become karaoke King or Queen of the night. With renditions of Boyz II Men’s “End of the Road”, Alicia Keys’ “No One” and the Pussycat Dolls’ “Dontcha” it was going to be a tough call.

In between performances the resident DJs spun tunes that kept the large and fairly mixed crowd bumping, grinding and staying on till late; in spite of it being a mid-week event. The vibe was one I had not felt or seen in a long time: plenty of merry faces amongst a crowd who were obviously charged and out to have a fantastic night. During one of the intermissions a free raffle took place - courtesy of it being a Valentine’s special. Although I bribed three tickets from the ticket man, with my winsome smile and an offer of Lindt chocolates, I still managed to come home empty-handed.

Towards the end of the night, “Don’t Get Out Much” were finally called on to perform. Although our threesome had now become a duet (I had sobered up and chickened out), my girls put on an excellent performance. Engaging the crowd with their tuneless crooning, uncoordinated adlibbing and body popping it was only fair they were crowned Queens of the karaoke. Winning a specially branded ‘Breaking The Ice’ bottle of Champagne – of which I was not allowed to partake.

My only gripe for the night was no set finishing time, so it appeared to drag on for that little bit too long. But if you did not come or you came and did not let go, let flow then you missed out. Big time!

© Rachelle Hull 2008

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails