On hiatus:

///Be Back Soon///

///In the meantime, read my posts, comment, contact me///

Monday 5 November 2007

OPINION: That Time of Year...

December 12th 2005:

The month is here and the invitations are out. The venue has been decided on and the menu is in progress. Sounds intriguing. Sounds great. Well, unfortunately for me it's not. Why? Because I am talking about the one thing that happens every year (though I wish it wouldn't): the (dreaded) Official Office Christmas party.

Now, don't get me wrong I do talk with my fellow colleagues (I have to, it's a part of my job), so I am no snob. And I do (on the odd occasion and with a few of them) have conversations and a good laugh, so I am no grouch. However, I endure their voices, odd senses of humour and...OK let's not be nicey nice-I damn near tolerate their presence for a good few hours per week (and that's while getting paid) why would I want to do the same in my own free time?-without compensation for my efforts.

So, just like last year I exercised my right to free will and have decided not to attend. That way I wont have to put up with stilted conversation, inane jokes, or drunken passes made by middle aged men whilst trying to grind hips to tunes where they are unable to comprehend the rhythm (let alone the words). Not forgetting the embarassing attempts to joke the whole thing off the next morning-providing they remember in the first place-or unwarranted jibes from the other gormless gnomes who spread gossip like it's an STI!

No I think I will stay home that night. Safely tucked up in bed, with a good movie or a good book away from such events...besides I'm going out with friends the night after, I've got to save my energy and glam-rags for that!


© Rachelle Hull 2005


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails